Monday, January 18, 2010

Capellini Primavera

I've been trying my hand at some impromptu recipes. That is, trusting myself to make something that tastes good based on what I know without consulting the internet for recipes. A couple of weeks ago I made some garlic-parmesan linguine with some ingredients I had on hand that would not have been used for anything else. (I had bought them solely to make appetizers for NYE.) The angel hair I made tonight was born of that experiment:

oil--1 turn of the pan
butter--2-4 tbs
garlic (2 huge teaspoons of minced garlic)
5 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
1/2 lg. zucchini, julienned
1/2 orange bell pepper, julienned
2 cans italian-style diced tomatoes (1 drained, one not)
16 oz angel hair pasta
basil and oregano, to taste
shredded parmesan cheese

Make the pasta--you don't need me to tell you how. Heat oil and butter together in pan. Add garlic and all veggies except the canned tomatoes. Add basil and oregano. Just before you drain the pasta, add the tomatoes to your veggie mixture. Toss in the hot, drained pasta to coat. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese.

This was pretty yummy. But next time I think I would add more garlic and the whole zucchini and pepper rather than half of each. I really want to make this with spaghetti squash but my grocery store hasn't had them in stock. Mushrooms and/or shrimp would be great too but I was trying to keep the cost down. As it is, this cost just under $5 to make and I have enough for many lunches this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment