Saturday, January 22, 2011

Creamy Spinach and Brocolette Soup



I had some spinach and brocolette from my CSA box that needed to be used, so I created this recipe.  The garlic and shallots were also from the box.

Creamy Spinach and Brocolette Soup

2-4 cups fresh spinach
1 bunch fresh brocolette
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS butter
1 shallot
1 large clove garlic
½ cup white wine
½ cup flour, divided
49 oz can of fat-free chicken broth
3 cups 2% milk
½ cup orzo
1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp kosher salt
cayenne pepper, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste

1.    Wash and chop spinach
2.    Wash brocolette and trim 1/8” off of the ends. Chop into 1” pieces.
3.    Mince shallot and garlic.
4.    Heat oil and butter in a dutch oven
5.    Sautee shallot and garlic until soft but not brown.
6.    Add white wine, let simmer until alcohol cooks off.
7.    Add ¼ cup flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
8.    Add chicken broth and whisk to combine the roux.
9.    Add spinach and brocolette, simmer until vegetables are soft.
10. Puree ¾ of soup in batches in a regular blender then return to pot.
11. Whisk ¼ cup flour into milk and add to pot along with the spices and the orzo.
12. Simmer until orzo is cooked then stir in parmesan cheese.

All measurements are approximate as I made it up as I went along.  It may be easier to add all of the flour in the beginning before adding the broth.  Mine wasn’t as thick as I wanted it so I whisked more flour into the milk.  Experiment and let me know how yours turns out.


No comments:

Post a Comment